Current Sociopolitical Climate

Institutional Communications

Travel Advice

  • Please, upon traveling outside the U.S., register on Harvard Travel Assist, especially if you are not a U.S. passport-holder.  It is important for Harvard’s Global Support Services to know your international travel schedule in the event that you are compelled off a boarded plane as it stops over at some airport. In the current political climate there is no reason to be confident that a ban on entry into the U.S. will remain in effect only for non-U.S. citizens in the current 7 countries. It could possibly be extended to include, for example, Mexico or China, and the ban on green card holders could be reinstated.
  • Everyone eligible should register for Global Entry or a similar expedited process; that is likely to facilitate passage into the U.S. given that the U.S. government will already have a lot of information about you.
  • We urge non-U.S. citizens, emphasizing that this advice is broad and not limited to the current seven countries, to carry with you three additional documents. Each entry situation at airports is supposed to be decided on a case-by-case basis. This kind of documentation could be the difference between 10 minutes and 10 hours at an airport:
    • Your resumé or curriculum vitae.
    • A letter from your Resident House Dean, if an undergraduate student, or the Department chair, if a graduate student, postdoc, staff member, or faculty member, attesting to your regular ongoing status at Harvard; this letter can be just a couple of sentences.
    • The contact information of a Harvard person (not merely a family member) who may be contacted for help.

Safety/Harassment Concerns

  • Harvard University Police Department (HUPD)
    • Call 617-495-1212 to report immediately a bias-related incident, hate crime, or harassment.
    • For anonymous reporting, call the 24-hour automated voice mail system at 617-496-2700 or report online at
  • Massachusetts Attorney General (MA AG)

Immigration and Other Concerns